The San Mateo County Food System Alliance’s policy brief Producing, Distributing, and Consuming Healthy Local Food: Ingredients for a Sustainable Food System (2012) provides six recommended actions to support a sustainable food system. Recommendations include updating land use and other local policies to include support for urban agriculture and community gardens, adopting local food procurement policies, supporting local marketing initiatives such as the San Mateo County-based marketing program As Fresh As It Gets, as well as the provision of examples of initiatives in other cities and counties.
“Ag Innovation's work gets multi-stakeholder groups to the table for discussions that result in scaled shifts in how food is produced, packaged, shipped and consumed fairly. ”
Food production has a very substantial impact on the local economy in San Mateo County, and yet residents do not consume most of this food locally because it is distributed outside the county. In order to create a sustainable food system, the San Mateo County Food System’s Alliance recommends taking these actions:
- Support urban agriculture and community gardens.
- Protect agricultural land and working waterfronts.
- Bring the As Fresh As It Gets campaign to your community.
- Adopt local food purchasing policies.
- Participate in community-supported agriculture and fishing programs.
- Support healthy mobile food vending.